Thursday, December 22, 2011

Greener than i expected.

So I made a quick last minute trip back to Jordan and down to Egypt this last week and it was interesting in a few ways.  I was safe in Cairo, at least safe from a mob.  Never thought driving could get worse than Kuwait, but those Egyptians must have a different view on life and priorities.

I started the day after working a regular 12 hour shift.  I quickly showered, changed and found a taxi to take me to the airport.  I landed in Cairo around 3 pm after two business class flights.  It was awesome.  Orange juice after sitting down, hot towel after takeoff.  Cheese omelet and a screwdriver for breakfast.  The stewardess was a little worried that I wanted vodka with my breakfast.  I hung out in the business class lounge for a couple of hours in Amman, Jordan.  All the tvs in the lounge sucked, but there was a decent breakfast buffet so that was nice.

Kuwaitis are morons on the road.  The only thing saving lots and lots of Egyptians is that its so crowded that they rarely have the chance to drive fast enough to do a whole lot of damage.  Drive down any major road in Kuwait for at least 30 miles and you will see at least two new wrecks a week, thats a minimum.  I drove 70 or so miles each way when I worked at Buehring and saw new wrecks every other day.

 My trip to try and see the Giza pyramids has now failed for the second time.  Well, not completely failed, but didn't work out like planned.  After the airport and finding a taxi, I had to endure the crazy drive through Cairo.  I made it to the entrance about 20 minutes after they closed.  I didn't do as much research as usual, but surprised i never read anything about a closing time.  There is a light show so I figured the pyramids would be open till after dark.   I was talked into taking the "alternate view" which entailed riding a carriage on the back roads next to the pyramids.  The guy knew someone who let me go up to the third story roof and take some ok pics of the pyramids and sphinx. I'm a sucked and got talked into watching a papyrus making demonstration that was interesting, but not why i came to Egypt.  I'm an even bigger idiot because I got talked into paying too much for a papyrus painting of a boat.  Its a cool painting, I like it but it was still a stupid decision.

Driving back to the airport was the worst part since my driver thought I wanted to go see some other monument and once I realized we weren't going straight back to the airport, he had already gone off the highway onto so smaller roads.  We had to go through this one area where 4 roads merge into one within a one mile stretch and it took us a little over an hour to get through that one mile.  It sucked.

I was able to make it to the airport in time and safely arrived in Luxor that night.  I'm in a cool hotel on the Nile.

No comments:

Post a Comment